Saturday, August 20, 2011

Adventist Baptism

Humm....

Several different blogs have been talking about this, so this is going to be a bit redundant.

I just spoke with a young girl converting from the Seventh-day Adventist faith to Roman Catholicism and she told me that her bishop would have to baptize her because the RCC doesn't recognize Adventist baptism. Which is what I was told when both my husband and I converted and were baptized into the Roman Catholic faith.

However, my two sons were not baptized when they converted. Anyone know anything about this? I have read that it was about the SDA view of the Trinity, but I would think then it would be a consistent baptism policy for all converts.


4 comments:

Lee Faber said...

when I converted i was told that the church did in fact recognize sda baptisms, so i was not rebaptized. this was in 2001. I had to supply statements from my parents saying i had been baptized.

Charissa said...

The RCIA teacher at my local parish said there is a list of baptisms not recognized and the SDA is one of them. I don't know if it is something that particular church made up and goes off of or if it is something official...

Charissa said...

Oh, also... The priest I talked to told me that the official rule regarding this was that it had to be a baptism that was done in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. But then he told me to talk to the RCIA person for further details. That was when I was told that the SDA baptism would not be recognized. So it makes me think maybe if the proper form was used in the baptism, it is ok, but maybe some churches are more particular about the intentions of the baptism and the meanings that that particular church taught about the trinity.

Arthur and Teresa Beem said...

Thanks Charissa and Lee.

Labels